Home

Replacing aluminum boat rivets with bolts

Hello everyone, I just joined tinboats because ive just purchased my first aluminum Jon boat. I'm already looking into making some modifications, and I'm wondering if I can replace some of the rivets that are below the waterline with a stainless steel button head machine screw. Also, the 3M5200 doesn't say it's for aluminum Covers the types of rivets used on boat builds how to install them and when and where to use the

Replacing rivets with bolts - TinBoats

1. Re: Can I replace rivets with screws..??? Don't wanna hijack your thread or anything, we are about a month away from getting our cap back on also, keep us informed of how you are gunna do it. We were thinking of running a 1/4 strip of alum bar around the edge and drill and tap threads, then loc-tite our stainless bolts in
  2. um boat, I used aircraft alu
  3. ut..
  4. um one. MAKE SURE you replace with alu
  5. um boats are a great choice for many boat owners although they do tend to have one drawback. They eventually end up leaking at the seams and more specifically, around the loose rivets. This drawback is not only a nuisance but also a safety concern. Traxstech has replacement boat hull rivets to repair those loose rivets. Comes with 25 boat hull rivets and they are a 1/4 alu

How to install and fix Boat rivets - YouTub

I found larger rivets than the ones supplied and drilled the new holes to fit the rivets. We then set the hull aluminum to hold the rivets without spinning and then peened the new rivets. It turned out that we ended up putting 268 rivets in the old boat. A new floor and the old boat was good for several more years The need to replace rivets with screws may arise from a mechanical failure of the rivets or from a need for access behind some riveted sheet metal. It is your choice whether you utilize a simple sheet-metal screw or a short machine screw with a nut to hold the screw in place I split the top half of the boat off by drilling out about a million rivets around the rub rail. My Question is should I re-rivet the thing back together or use srews to replace the rivets? I have seen some boats with screws. This one has a metal or aluminum strip inside the bottom half that the rivets went through that should hold screws fine

Apply Gluvit to the rivets with a foam brush. Apply a little extra on the high side of the rivets and let gravity help. Wait a couple days, cover the rivet with something like MarineTex putty or Aquamend epoxy, let it set, then coat that putty with more Gluvit. Before touch up paint, wash the repairs with 50/50 vinegar and water and a scotch. The first step in repairing this aluminum boat's holes and leaky rivets was to use an angle grinder with a sanding disc to remove the silicon. (A wire wheel or wire brush is also acceptable). After removing the residual silicon, Muggy Weld's Super Alloy 5 rod and flux was applied with an oxyacetylene torch with a size 1 tip Loose Rivets. Smaller aluminum boats are riveted together with a sealant between the two panels of aluminum. It is possible to drill rivets out, apply sealant, and replace them with nuts and bolts. Another way to stop the leaks is to thoroughly clean and dry the area around the leaking seam. Apply Dow 5200 sealant and let dry for a day or two

In my case I had 16. After identifying the rivets to remove, mark the outside of the rivet head with a black dot with a sharpie. No use drilling out a good rivet. After marking the rivets to be drilled out get your drill and get to work. Besides replacing the rivets with carriage bolts, this is probably the most difficult task of the process Or, get the boat up off the ground, fill it to the water line with water, and mark the leaking rivets. To rebuck (tighten) a rivet, you'll need a helper (or long arms). One of you holds the buck—any anvil-like hunk of steel—tightly against the flat side of the rivet, while the other hammers the crimped end I had a lot of aluminum rivets to replace. Have a spare rivet gun so that yours doesn't break just after the stores close and you have to wait one more day to complete the job. It was the best thing that I ever did. I now know more about my boat than I ever would have never having done it! Message me or post if you have any questions Visit Epoxyworks.com for more information on repairing aluminum boats including patching holes, sealing leaky rivets, replacing transoms, attaching gear, replacing floors and more.. Fix leaking rivets with the 650-K Aluminum Boat Repair Kit Finding the leaks. The first step is to find the leak 17-32 of 564 results for aluminum boat rivets Price and other details may vary based on size and color. Metal Magery 3/16 Diameter X 1/2 Length Solid Aluminum Brazier Head Rivet, Pack of 100. 4.1 out of 5 stars 8. $12.95 $ 12. 95. Get it as soon as Fri, Jul 30. FREE Shipping on orders over $25 shipped by Amazon

Can I replace rivets with screws

I just got an aluminum boat it is a 1996 spectrum pro avenger 16 sc with and enclosed transom but the transom wood is rotten. The transom is enclosed and welded closed. It looks like a big job i am from canada and would cost a lot to have it done professionally Boat Rivets - Since 1998, iboats is the most trusted water lifestyle online store for boat parts and accessories, boats for sale, and forums. Enjoy great priced products with fast shipping Yea ole rivet tin boats are tough to deal with. Because of the tapered head Id prolly go with carriage bolts,ny lock nuts and a splash of 5200. Because its a small tin boat, upward water pressure is minimal, because of weight of boat. Id geaux with whats easiest/cheapest Plus the larger surface area, head of a carriage bolt will give ya more.

Never use Pressure Treated lumber. The preservatives in it will cause pitting in your hull. Instead use high quality, exterior grade plywood. 2.) Seal wood with epoxy, resin and fiberglass, or urethane. 3.) Mount with Stainless Steel hardware dipped in 3M 5200 marine caulk, use aluminum replacement rivets when needed. That's really about it An aluminum boat sealer is especially necessary when patching leaks in the body of an aluminum boat. This is the stuff that works to ensure that the patch does not leak; therefore, it is particularly designed to provide the best possible shield against any leaks that may bring about more damage to the boat Just wondering if there is a source for factory replacement rivets to aluminum boats. I really need to change the wood in my transom. Despite having the aluminum plated cap over it, I still don't like it being in bad shape. I know there will be a few riviets I have to remove and was wondering if someplace sold them

One boat actually carried a bilge pump to help keep up with the bailing. I circled any leaking rivet or seam with a black marker. Repair the most common problem with aluminum boats and canoes: leaking seams and rivets in aluminum boats with the WEST SYSTEM 650-K Aluminum Boat Repair Kit 02-16-2017, 09:55 AM. I glued the carpet to the plywood wrapping around the edges, just like the factory did, then attached to sections to the hull with SS screws with collars instead of rivets. Alumacraft ran rivets through the carpeting when they 1st built the boat. I see. That looks very nice

here's my boat

3/16 Aluminum Dome Head Rivets (25 Pack) $3.99. Add to Cart. Wish List Compare. Aluminum Large Flange Pop Rivets (50 Pack) $7.99. Add to Cart. View as Grid List. 4 Items Just purchased an older 22' aluminum boat. Took it out on the weekend and took on some water Brought it home put some water in it and have 5 leaking rivets in same area all close to centre . Can anyone help with some fix tips or info on a good professional Thanks Oh by the way I got skunked this weekend on lake o and Erie Thanks Bil When you're dealing with rivets, 316 stainless steel rivets are not available. So, you will have to use an aluminum rivet if you don't want to see rust. 18-8 or 303 or 304 stainless rivets will rust over time. I have here zip ties in 316 stainless. These are awesome for your car or anything that you're attaching in a saltwater environment Below find a few more boom repair pictures. However, I thought I'd add some information pertaining to rivets. The one I use most often is a 3/16 dia. all ALUMINUM rivet with a 3/16 to 1/4 grip range. This is good for attaching the gooseneck endcap and those Soft Lacing Eyestrap Kits you can buy from APS

Aluminum rivet replacement? --> - Google Group

Aluminum boats get used and abused. At some point, it's time to breathe new life into a boat with a fresh coat of paint. This is also a good time to drill out and replace rusted bolts or bad rivets. The important thing is to make the boat as structurally sound as possible before dressing it up with a new paint job. Materials you'll need Swapping Rivets for Welders or Bolts. In 2018, you are only likely to encounter this type of iron rivet being used in heritage restoration work or in work that is intended to emulate it (The. Post by hondacat onMar 1, 2014 at 12:17pm. Just because it is a aluminum boat does not mean parts can not rot out. This is what's involved in replacing the transom board on a Lund Barron 21'. First you have to remove the motors and the top cap some rivets must be drilled out. Then you need to remove splash well boxes to gain access to the top. I need to replace the rivets that hold the spreaders on, pulleys, and metal lines going to the deck (I don't know there name). I've searched the forums and people seem to disagree about stainless vrs. aluminum The boat is a 16 foot sunbird. I would guess it would get the same stress as a.. Leaky, cracked rivets on a riveted jon boat or bass boat can become an annoying, wet problem. I needed to replace a cracked rivet on my newer Alumacraft boat after they told me I voided my hull warranty by using a mud motor. So I will tell, and show you how I replaced that one leaky, cracked rivet

Should I say I bought and refurbished several boats. Yes fairly easy to do, you can use Marine Plywood, or Green Treated 2x10 etc material. Just drill the rivets out, dig out all the wood, event he stuff that seems solid and replace it all. Time consuming but fun to do too. Read Pro Staff Bio If you are replacing an old fastener, replace an adjacent rivet with a bolt to draw everything together. Next, drill the pilot hole, one size smaller than the nail size. Tap the nail through the pilot hole with the hammer while holding the bucking iron at the back Aluminum rivets are strong, lightweight, and naturally corrosion resistant, making them the ideal fasteners for a variety of applications, from camping gear to aerospace equipment. With a huge selection of solid aluminum rivets in stock, Jay-Cee Sales & Rivet makes it easy to find the right fasteners for your needs They are also the place to purchase rivets in bulk. Nyloc nuts are usually put on stainless bolts for marine use, and stainless bolts often have finer threads than galvanized threads. If you go nyloc nuts, you'll have to go stainless all the way. I agree with the lock washers, however. I don't see pontoon boats advertising galvanized crossmembers

Transom replacement advice?

HOW TO REPLACE LEAKY BOAT RIVETS SOLID AND POP - YouTub

Bolt, Spring-Eye with Locknut & Grease Zerk - 3 Long $ 4.95. Bolt, Spring-Eye with Locknut for Double Eye Springs - 3 Long $ 2.45. Bolt, Spring-Eye with Locknut for Slipper Springs - 3-1/2 Long $ 2.75. DOOR STOP/CHECK KIT $ 16.95 $ 11.49 SALE. Gas Spring/Shock Ball Stud $ 2.25 Marine Nuts, Bolts & Screws - Since 1998, iboats is the most trusted water lifestyle online store for boat parts and accessories, boats for sale, and forums. Enjoy great priced products with fast shipping Steps for Removing Rivets. Occasionally, you'll need to reverse the procedure and remove the rivet. For instance, when replacing sections of gutter or downspouts, you may need to remove rivets to disassemble the parts. There are a few methods to remove a rivet. Option 1: Drill it Out With a Dedicated Tool. The cleanest method is to drill it out Marine Fasteners and Hardware. It's smart to keep a stock of fasteners on hand for those unexpected boat repairs. Save a bundle on boat hardware when you shop Great Lakes Skipper's huge discount inventory. We have screws, nails, nuts, washers, cotter pins, tacks, washers, staples, snaps, U-bolts, brads - just about every type of hardware.

Re-Riveting Aluminum Boats - General Discussion Forum In

1976 Aluminum Starcraft Restoration Progress Page: 1

BHRR-25 / Boat Hull Replacement Rivets - 25 rivet

Fill the boat with water. Mark the leaking rivets, and have a friend stand inside the boat that's still filled with water, with a large hammer. Tell your friend to hold the hammer to the head of each leaking rivet - inside the boat -- in turn. Place the butt of a piece of 3/4-inch rebar against the tail of the leaking rivet, outside the boat Replacing transom Lowe Jon boat; So I think it's the bolts in the transom possibly and some were a little loose. My question is the transom is a little soft on the starboard side but it looks really involved to remove the splash basins and foam filled pods just to get to the darn thing. There is a wealth of knowledge there on aluminum.

Replacing rivets on a Deep-V Aluminum Boat??? - This Old

Install the new one in the reverse order. The only problem may be in how you can remove that bottom lip of aluminum, you may just have to cut it off, then replace it with a piece of aluminum angle, using some bolts. In my 15+ years of welding, I think I've replaced a total of 2 transoms Locking-Collar Rivets. Also known as magna-grip lockbolts, these ribbed rivets are the strongest rivets we offer. They have the holding power to withstand excessive vibration, expansion, and contraction. Installation requires access to both sides of the material and a locking collar rivet tool Super-Grip Blind and Closed-End Rivet Assortment, 1/8 to 3/16 Diameter Range, 0.125 to 0... (Pack of 1) When it comes to rivets, look no further than Lawson Products. We offer pull rivets from top brand names in the fasteners field Our rivet to bolt conversion kit is a performance upgrade item designed to easily remove the skid plates for cleaning, servicing or installing aftermarket skid plates. Our button allen head bolts are exceptionally strong and will take a beating while on the trail. This kit replaces the Can Am OEM rivets, part number #: 293150108 (Pop Rivet 3.

Torx Screw 1/4-20 x 2-1/4 (10 Screws) $ 3.50 Twist Lock Fastener - Stainless Steel $ 3.50 U-Bolt for 3,500 lb, 2-3/8 Round Trailer Axle - Basic $ 5.75 $ 4.95 SALE U-Bolt for 4 Round Trailer Axle $ 10.95 U-Bolt for 5 Round Trailer Axle Out of stock U-Bolt for 5,200 lb to 7,000 lb, 3 Round Trailer Axle - Basic Out of stoc Showing slide 1 of 2 - Best Selling. Go to previous slide - Best Selling. Milwaukee 2660-20 M18 Blind Rivet Tool. $799.00 New. T.k. Multiple Sizes Rivetblind Rivets Assortment Kit215pcs. 5 out of 5 stars. (2) Total Ratings 2, $12.99 New

What screws & bolts for aluminum boats? - Bass Boats

You could replace all the rivets in a boat and have it stronger than before. However, you will need to deal with the fact that the aluminum hull will corrode around the stainless steel fasteners. To cure this problem, place a thin nylon washer under the screw and the nut Next, use a small punch and hammer to drive the pin part of the way through the hole to make a starter hole for the drill bit. To remove the pin, find a drill bit that's smaller than the pin and drill in the centre of it. Replace the drill bit with one that's the same size as the rivet, drill it out, and replace it with a new rivet Had several people (boat repair guys) tell me to use a 3/16 (diameter) by 1/2 (grip size) rivet, which looks like what was in ther before as best I can tell. Trouble is, when drilling out the old rivet, I cannot get it all gone so that I can seat the new rivet flush to the outside of the carpet/hinge on the edge of flange 733. 3/16 all aluminium sealed end pop rivet, drill hole out to 3/16 and get some all aluminium rivets that will extend about 1/8 past the the inside of the boat, pop them off with a pop rivet gun, paint and forget about it, you're the only one who will see them. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst

Rebuilding a Boat -- Rivets? Or Better Option? - Bass

1 1/2 Elevator Bolt 1/4-20 bolt. Flat head won't poke through carpet. Usually sold with self locking or flange nuts. 2 Deck Screw Phillips Head, 1/4-20. Flat head won't poke through carpet. Self tapping, works best with aluminum cross channels. With deck bolts you must drill a hole for the shaft of the bolt But they also typically bolt or blind rivet the patch in place, in addition to the 5200. 5200 is not sandable though. If your going to glue an aluminum patch, I'd do it on the outside. Much easier to replace that way. I've used 5200 a bunch on my boat with good results Lund Boats are Riveted. Aluminum boats are either riveted together, or they are welded together. Riveting is easier and cheaper than welding, and it helps boat manufacturers create boats quicker and cheaper. The downside is that a riveted boat is more likely to leak. I know this from personal experience. My small fishing boat has rivets, and it. Rusty screws don't only look terribleThey can weaken the structural integrity by as much as 75%.Economical 'B uilders grade' steel screws can start rusting within months.While the best option is using a high grade fastener during construction, we can replace the fasteners any time and restore structural integrity.When we replace fasteners, we use top-of-the-line Nylo-tec and [ Huck rivets/bolts? Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Wildcat74, Sep 2, 2011. Page 1 of 2 1 2 Next > I used carriage bolts to replace mine when I took a fairing off. Can't tell the difference except fot the letters stamped on the heads of the carriage bolts. kwforage, Sep 2, 2011

Blind rivets are usually categorized by the material of the rivet and then the material of the mandrel. For example, you might see aluminum/steel, which means an aluminum rivet with a steel mandrel. These fasteners typically come in steel, stainless steel, nickel-copper alloy, and other grades of aluminum Boat Floor Replacement. I am currently in the process of replacing the floor in my 98′ Crestliner Fishhawk. I was just wondering if any of you have had any experience with this and if you had any advice on the matter. Just want to make sure I have all my bases covered before I get to crazy. I plan on replacing all the floor with green-treat 3. The Huck bolt consists of two pieces: a threaded pin and a collar made of slightly softer material. Huck bolts are available in different sizes and materials for different applications: The Huck BobTail® is corrosion-resistant, can be installed using a lightweight tool, and is available in steel, stainless steel, and aluminum Wepro Uniauto Inc. Began the Wheel Accessories business since 1983. Wheel lug nut, lug bolts, wheel lock, M7/M8 rivet, hub rings, aluminum wheel nut/locks, 6061.

My 55 year old boat has stainless parts press fit into machined aluminum housing on the drive. After 50 years of service I took it apart to replace a couple of cutlass bearings (brass with molded in rubber) press fit into aluminum. Every bolt came right out and no corrosion between any parts Bolts and screws are better suited for tension applications. Fastenings used in traditional wooden boat building, like copper nails and clinch bolts, work on the same principle as the rivet but were in use long before the term rivet came about and, where they are remembered, are usually classified among the nails and bolts respectively Product Overview. This riveter kit allows you to easily install threaded nuts, even when only one side of the material is accessible, simply by drilling a hole in the aluminum. The amazing riveter kit contains a heavy duty setting tool; four nosepieces; and ten each of 6-32, 8-32, 10-24, and 1/4-20 inserts Brass is very reactive with aluminum, and brass screws will cause substantial corrosion of an aluminum base metal in a wet environment. The process of galvanic corrosion depends on the presence of an electrolyte, though, so in a totally dry environment the risk of corrosion is low, even if you use uncoated brass screws. Advertisement. references Pop rivets use a hollow shaft, reducing their ability to resist shear loads. The strength of the materials used also depends on the power of riveting tools available. Light-duty riveting tools are only able to upset aluminum rivets, which provide low-strength fastening

Closed End Self Sealing Rivets >>. Hanson's Closed-End rivets prevent the passage of vapor or liquid through the set rivet. They also provide 100% mandrel retention. This means the head of the mandrel that breaks off stays in the set rivet. This assures that it won't fall into your assembly and rattle around or short out electronics All Welded - No Rivets. With super-strong .100 gauge aluminum alloy Lowe boats are built to take a pounding year after year. Thick H-34 marine aluminum is renowned for its combination of high tensile strength and flexibility; it's one of the toughest, most durable sheets in boating Bolts have largely replaced rivets due to their lower installation cost, ease of installation and maintenance. The two types of bolts commonly used in steel construction include high strength structural steel, and A307 bolts (common bolts). Structural steel bolts are subcategorised into A325 (Group A) and A490 (Group B) and are high strength